Judges Think That Committing Rape Is Not As Serious As Fraud

Don’t climb all over me. Let me explain. Another headline … Man was driven by greed, says judge. Details, Harold Max Russell pleaded guilty to defrauding his employer over a four year period of $500,000. He was sentenced last month to three years in jail.

So what does that have to do with rape? In another case, a man raped an 11 year old girl, and took photos afterwards. He also pleaded guilty to 13 more charges of sex and extortion to other girls The Crown prosecutor asked for a sentence of two years!! Can you believe it? The raper was sentenced to 42 months,… but was given 18 months credit for time served, so will only serve another 2 years. Is this justice or even logical common sense. Don’t believe me? Judges Versus Justice.

Asinine, uncaring are two word I would apply to the Judge. The Crown prosecutor should be disbarred.

Download PDF
This entry was posted in Common Sense & Accountability:. Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Judges Think That Committing Rape Is Not As Serious As Fraud

1. Alias (Concerned Cituzen) says:

Not sure what I can do. I think he might be at it again. He is helping a Seniors Center in Lake Cowichan, with fund raising and doing there books. I don’t know where to go or what to do, as I think he has charmed them all and they have accepted his help with open arms.

• Harry says:

Hello Concerned Citizen. I always feel that if something is worth fighting for, you have to do your best, even if the results are not what you want. Here is what I would do in your shoes. I would write to my local MLA..lay out calmly what you know and what you believe. In writing! I would do the same to my MP..In writing.
      With regard to what you state about the Senior Centre in Lake Cowichan, I would get in touch with Senior Advocate for British Colmbia…her name is Isobel Mackenzie…she has just issued an updated report about care facilities which was not complimentary!
      I would give the people concerned 3 weeks to respond..nothing arrives..send them a reminder. Nothing positive comes back…go to the media. Keep copies of everything !
      Please let me know what happens.
      Harry

• MR says:

For the record. I am not doing the Books, I am/was helping them set up their books to meet GAAP, as well as restructuring their articles. As far as fundraising. Yes to date I have arranged approx 17K in Donations that went directly to The Centre. People make mistakes in their lives. This mistake was over 12 years ago. What have you done to help.

Max.
        I feel a bit overwhelmed, this is the first time that i have been presented with this type of a comment. So please be patient. Perhaps because I am not 100% computer literate, I was unnable to find much in the news about you and the offences that you were accused of. Lots from the USA relating to similar names. i did note that you were sentenced to 3 years in jail in 2013? However you mention that you made this mistake over 12 years ago? My personal viewpoint is depending on the original crime, if a person has remained crime free plus contributed to the community for 12 years, he deserves some credit and the 1 crime should not affect him for life. However if the offence was vehicle related and someone is killed…then he/she is never forgiven.
        Like I said, I am not sure what to say. But willing to discuss further if it helps.
        Harry

• Another Lake Cowichan concerned citizen says:

When asked about his background by the Lake Cowichan Senior Association board of directors, Max told of all the family abuse he suffered before leaving home. Then he proceeded to tell them he made a “mistake” by taking $50K from his employers for a lawsuit against them for promises of a partnership. He did not mention anything about the other $450,000 he “borrowed”. This board sniffled and gave him another chance after he told them how many companies he helped turn around and save untold amounts of money. When asked for references he said there was a company, but they went out of business and the building burnt down.

Sure you can have a second chance. Keep your head down and do volunteer work if you like. Just stay out of anything that might bring very close scrutiny. Believe me, people will be watching whatever you do very closely.

To another Lake Cowichan concerned citizen,
            I appreciate your input but am getting more puzzled each day. i cannot find any links to information that confirms what you say? However I admire that you say that he has a second chance. Depending upon the crime and the consequences of the crime, I say that everyone deserves a second chance. I know that in my life, I have been a second chance after making mistakes, luckily the mistakes were not illegal.

• Another LC concerned citizen says:

Harry, it took me quite a while doing different searches before I found an article published by the Richmond Review https://issuu.com/blackpress/docs/i2013111507051152
              It is very enlightening and backs up the comments by several of your posters here. The board giving him a second chance only makes me more uncomfortable given the fact that he was not forthcoming. I only hope he proves the doubters wrong.

• Harry says:

I may have got mixed up in how to reply. Getting a bit complicated for an old [er] guy. White collar crime is quite prevalent in many forms. There was a very diligent and dedicated investigative reporter who was employed by The Vancouver Sun. Name was David Baines..he retired. If you use the search button and insert his name, I think that you will enjoy and learn from his efforts.
                I am also puzzled as to why, a fine is applied but rarely enforced.
                Again, think about this…the Stock Market etc is always being scammed…governmental organizations have applied many hard hitting fines with much publicity.
                Rarely mentioned [but is on WCP] is that over $1 billion, yes BILLION in fines has never..ever been collected!
                Again, I enjoy the comments and discussions. We, the 4 of us that are westcoastpugnacious, often wonder why we do not get many comments.
                Thank you for your time.
                Harry

• Original concerned citizen says:

I am sorry I just can’t get my head around someone who has made a mistake, but doesn’t pay back what he took. According to the courts he has payed $738 of the $502,673.00 he was ordered to pay. Also it might have happened 12 years ago, but it was delayed through the courts (maybe a good lawyer) and he was only sentenced to 3 years in Nov. 2013–so he must have just got out of prison last year.

• Harry says:

Falling behind trying to find solutions or even answers. I have zero ideas as to why he did not or was not forced to repay. That same ‘generosity’ is common in white collar crime. I would still contact all the people I mentioned before and seek answers. Sorry I cannot come up with more.There is a danger involved with holding onto concerns/issues…and not letting them go. Having said that, I must admit that I do nor often practice what I Preach.Harry

• Ronnie says:

Another Concerned Citizen
      My findings show this man was fired from his job in March of 2005 for breach of trust within the company he worked for at the time. It was discovered later had been using company funds for his own personal use to the tune of $502,673.00. This is also the exact amount of the restitution order which is on record and owing to the company he stole from. To the best of my knowledge he has not repaid one penny to the company and has refused repeated requests to do so from employees at the Restitution Program. This case took some 8 years to get from the point of discovery to incarceration. That’s just the way our court system works. My hat goes off to who ever had the patience to pursue this for that long to get some sort of justice. I followed this case closely as it went through the court system right up until the day Max was handcuffed and taken into custody and ordered to repay what he stole. He served 6 months of his sentence before being sent to a Halfway house in Victoria somewhere which by all accounts was like a vacation property although I have never visited it. Anyways his sentence was completed on October 7th 2016. So now he’s a free man again and $502,673.00 richer. Certainly appears to me that white collar crime does pay and well. I would caution anyone using any of his accounting services as there is also record of him having done something like this before back east and to his family none the less. I for one am happy to read that his family has shunned him for his past deceit and thievery. I disagree with Harry and don’t believe you keep getting pardoned for these mistakes. None of us is perfect and yes we all make mistakes but shouldn’t we have to atone for these by doing something good. I have studied many cases of this type of fraud and although someone may have a restitution order, repayment is rare because of our laws. We have no enforcement program in Canada yet but I’m lobbying with the Restitution program to get this arm set up as they have been trying to do for some time. I followed this case closely once I was made aware of it in April of 2005 and this man is not to be trusted. He spent the longest time denying this theft before finally having to plead guilty and take the slap on the hand he deserved. Now to hear that he is even allowed to practice as an accountant makes me sick. Lake Cowichan be warned!

• Harry says:

Thank you for the update, I am afraid that all I can say is that white collar crime is not a high priority for either the federal government or the provincial government.
        The only way that you may, repeat may get some satisfaction is to outline your concerns to your local MLA and MP, in writing and keep hounding them. I am under the impression that he may be working as a volunteer and in that case may not be working a certified accountant. If you know for sure that he is still a member of an association such as CPA, contact them and raise your concerns.
        Harry

• Ronnie says:

First of all Thank You Harry for keeping this mans name in print and warning others, it pleases me no end. David Baines would be proud. Secondly I don’t believe the man has earned a designation only his wife has that to the best of my knowledge. He talks a good game and turns on the charm when needed. I have had the dubious honour of meeting a couple of people like Max with no scruples and they seem to pray on whomever they can and tend to get away with it due to our soft legal system. Thanks Again for doing your part to help clear the world from these types of thieves. Volunteer or not he should never be allowed to work in a position where money is involved.

• Harry says:

Ronnie, we are only a small blog, just a group of people who have different interests and concerns. United in the feeling that we still want to contribute to our country and community. I must point out, that I do not always practice what I preach! I am pleased to say that I have made some friends via the blog. We try to vary the content..meaning that we do not focus upon just one issue. On my mind right now because it is November which includes Remembrance day, the CAF and veterans are of prime importance.
            David Baines is still sorely missed. I believe that his ‘retirement’ was nudged by various court case costs.
            I have said it before, with your concerns, I would keep hounding the politicians. I still remind myself that WCP is built around Common Sense ….Accountability … Humour.
            Take care.
            Harry

2. Rob says:

Its really sad, max and his wife Gail own 6 acres in lake cowichan. They are also a private accounting firm and storage facility on youbou Rd. No one from his family has anything h to do with him. Especially his own kids. Me being the oldest.

Hello again Rob,
      Not sure what to say, as I have said before, white collar crime is very popular and rarely prosecuted.Post coming about only 1% of all fines are ever collected. If you use the search button on the blog Insert ‘Baines’..he used to be the scourge of white collar criminals for many years.He retired and I guess he works privately now. Not much else I can say, sometimes family does not come up to expectations. That is all i will say on that topic.
      Harry

3. Margaret says:

Interesting that people like Harold Max Russell can steal, be charged, sentenced and ordered to pay back what they stole but are never made to do so. If you look in the BC provincial court documents in October 2013, you can read the details of this particular case. He fooled the courts with his lies. That is what he is good at! He would only have admitted to it because he was backed into a corner with evidence he could not otherwise prove wrong. Court notes indicate no prior history of such fraud but what they don’t know is that he left a path of fraud behind him in Nova Scotia! And the story is exactly the same, get in a position of trust and rob people blindly! But he got away with it so of course there is no history known to the courts in BC. Read the court documents and ask yourself what accounting company would hold the job of someone convicted of fraud so that he can come back to this position when out of jail?? Only someone who is equally deviant! Why? So he can find his next victim? And the courts/judge bought that! Unbelievable! Unbelievable that people like him are not forced to repay when ordered by the courts!

• Harry says:

Puzzled, this type/content in a comment has been received 3 times before..plus relating to the same Post. Nothing has changed, little information ‘out there’. No updates have been made in the media since the previous comments and responses.
      Harry

• Margaret says:

Of course there are no updates. I believe that is exactly Ronnie’s point…..guilty, sentenced, serves 1/6 of his term in a federal penn, ordered to repay, chooses not to and that’s the end of the story, he lives happily ever after on the half million plus stolen from innocent people? That is the crime. I can guarantee the victims have not lived happy ever after!

Margaret,
          Made a reply earlier and mislaid it. We all know that justice in Canada is not perfect by any means. I cannot see where anyone who was personally damaged by the actions of this guy actually sued for damages etc.Did anyone actually make a legal issue over the fact that he din’t serve full time. There are numerous examples of where innocent people have been damaged by financial flim-flam. Even on WCP..use the search button for Baines.
          As a last resort, you could ask CBC Go-Public to get involved. But honestly they get hundreds of people asking for help and have to be selective. Or perhaps get in touch with your local MLA and/or MP and see what they can do.
          Harry

• Ronnie says:

Hi Harry
            You can take everything Margaret says to the bank. I am also aware of the previous goings on in Nova Scotia where he bled his own family. Believe me a personal suit goes no where. Now that Max as he is known has completed his 3 year sentence and has no limitations and as Margaret says is looking to find his next victim. The only thing he can’t do is leave Canada, what a shame. Believe me when I say I have spoken to Victim Services many times and no one can make him pay. His restitution order is good for 10 years. To sue personally would require a large up front payment to a lawyer and their is no guarantee he would pay anything. I would enjoy nothing more than to speak with Margaret in person because it’s obvious we both know a lot about this particular individual and his scamming ways. I will continue to keep his name in print for as long as I live because I personally know the people he scammed and believe me they hurt even though you don’t hear about it. They continue to work harder than ever to recoup their losses with no help from the system. Mark my words he will do this again at some point as he just can’t help himself. Should I say he enjoys helping himself to what isn’t his. Lastly I would caution any company looking to hire Harold Max Russell for any kind of accounting position. Do your homework!!

• Harry says:

It is hard to let an issue go when it has had a negative impact. Sorry to say, unless this guy gets caught trying the same scam, the issue will die a natural death.No more headlines…no more media interest. Then not a chance of justice. White collar crime is prevalent and has been for decades. Take care, and try to ensure the issue does not cause too muchstress. Harry

4. Ronnie says:

Hi Harry, sorry it’s been a hectic couple of months. The topic that gets my blood boiling is all the scammers that get away with the crime such as Harold Max Russell. Some others include a soccer treasurer in Richmond taking money from the organization. These were all in the news paper. Being a soccer referee this one impacted me personally as our cheques were not honoured at the time. I just have no time for cheats. I believe in hard work with maximum effort and we will all be rewarded with a pay cheque. That being said I see so many times that crime does pay and well. Harold Max Russell currently lives on Vancouver Island and I would imagine quite comfortably with his half million he stole. Must be nice. So my beef is these unscrupulous people who cheat and steal there way through life on the hard work of others and have no remorse and our system lets them get away with it. Sorry for the rant but it really bugs me.
    Ronnie

• Harry says:

Been a long time Ronnie, I would point out that you are not ranting..I leave that to Ezra Levant…you are venting..same as I do…quite often. I did a fast serch and found almost zero in new news about Russell. If you want to explore more, possibly legal action.sometimes the UBC Lawstudents have a program that could help. I have been through that Excellent advice which is then evaluated by a lawyer. I was impressed..another avenue…your local MLA may have other suggestions that could be of help…he/she may be more eager as it is an election year. My usual vent..if more people teamed up as a group…and held politicians feet to the fire…we could achieve more. Thank you for keeping in touch. Harry

5. Ronnie says:

I would agree this was an injustice. I have followed the greed case carefully and as of Oct 7, 2016 Harold Max Russell has completed his 3 year sentence. The part that puzzles me is that he served very little time in actual jail. The first 6 months were served then on to a half way house for 6 months and then he was allowed to live at home and given travel permits. What further puzzles me is that our system accepted his guilty plea and ordered him to pay restitution within 30 days. In all my digging into this case I can tell you not a penny has been repaid and there is no consequences for not doing so. This leads me to believe that crime does pay and well. Our system needs repair in so many ways.

Ronnie,
      Firstly, thank you for the comment pertaining to something published so long ago. You state that all your digging? I did some digging and could not find any reference to Russell. Only the one we published. I readily admit that I am not an expert with a computer. If you have more info..we can add it to the original I will email you from yahoo..so plse do not do a Hillary and delete me. Again thank you for taking the time to comment.
      Harry

• Ronnie says:

Well Harry I’m also no computer expert but the freedom of information act has it all. I have followed many instances where this kind of fraud takes place and no one ever goes the extra mile and talks about the restitution. You should talk to Suzanne Tarlier who is the Restitution Program Manager sometime. Her number is 604-660-4898 and although she may not speak about specific cases she can give you a lot of information. In this case the total restitution ordered was $502,673.00 and to date $0.00 has been paid. My sources tell me that the offender Harold Max Russell has chosen not to participate in the Restitution Program so that’s it. He is off the hook unless the company spends money and goes the civil route which also comes with no guarantees. There are many similar cases to be found such as Vancouver Sun May 21/14 Janet Mercedes Bayda steals more than $1.5 million. It cost them $300K to recover $800K and they are still short the million. David Baines of the Vancouver Sun was also great for exposing scammers like this and I spoke to him many times before he retired.

Hello Again Ronnie,
          You struck a chord with me. David Baines, he was really good with exposing scams. Cost PostMedia a few bucks in damages.Now there is nobody following the scams. Believe it or not, WCP has never done a FOI.We prefer to look for loose ends and follow them. We are only small but each of us have different interests and topics. Fast question, do you have a particular topic or issue that you would like to see on WCP? Thanks for keeping in touch.
          Harry